Tuesday, September 06, 2005

HBO's Rome ep 2

Firstly, I keep forgetting to mention that Perseus 4.0--Java-based--is up! I haven't really messed with it much myself, though.

Anyway, I just finished watching the second episode of Rome, and I'm excited! This show feels good. The pacing is good; it's entertaining, and I think it does a really great job giving a sense of Roman culture. It's not 100% accurate, but I cannot reiterate enough how this is the most accurate and well-researched show I've seen in a long time.

It's impressed me so much that I can mostly forgive it for its gratuitous sex scenes. Even those (and they're getting a little better being equal with male and female nudity) aren't entirely gratuitous, as the brothels were just as much a part of Roman culture as anything else.

Other details I liked were eating doormice, the surgery that Titus Pullo got done on his head, the exploration of male and female relationships (and I don't just mean Atia's sexual appetite), and exploring the plebs vs the nobility. I especially loved the scenes between Vorenus and his wife. They were rich with Roman culture and practices. What's more, these characters were alive. The entire show really makes the Romans alive. It's really those little details I enjoy--like the doormice and the dice games.

I think David Meadows did a wonderful job recapping and giving details, so I won't blather on any further.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It is not a threat. Snows *always* melt." *dies*

Also, I somehow wound up with a crush on Pullo in this ep. Because Vorenus is being a total ass, and I hate it when Kevin is a total ass. But Ray Stevenson is highly amusing and Pullo is infinitely more fun and a nicer guy. Even if he did destroy the republic.

Mme B

11:04 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

I know! Pullo was fantastic. And very adorable.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Scott Oden said...

Note to self: Must subscribe to HBO. Or, just wait and get Rome on DVD . . .

Very glad to hear it's better than Empire.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Scott Oden

There are ways to get it online. Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: David

I don't think we actually *see* the doormice, but Atia mentions them when Vorenus and Titus Pullo are over, methinks.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We see the dormice on a plate, I think. I swore I noticed them before Atia offered them because I was thinking "Ok, are those rats? Oh, dormice. Ew."

Yes, I read novels about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars. This does not mean I (or the midshipmen) find millers to be a culinary delicacy.

Mme B

12:53 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

LOL! Ew. That must've been when I wasn't looking then.

Those Romans are just strange, y'know. ;-)

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home