Sunday, August 28, 2005

Romans in China

Another fascinating update from rogueclassicism--Romans in China stir up controversy. The researcher gets a bit testy at the end, methinks, but it's an otherwise interesting look at the state of this mystery.

That's all, really. I'm currently just prepping for classes this semester. I really haven't looked into grad schools as much as I would have liked to this summer, which will probably mean more crunch this semester! Oops. But I've been busy.

I'll be studying Even More Vergil this semester (the Aeneid this time), Cicero and Petronius (although, one will not be for credit) for Latin. I'll also be starting my second year of Greek and taking Hellenistic history. I'll only be taking one non-Classics related course--Early American history. However, we've already established in this blog that I can and shall relate that to my Classical studies as well.

My poor, poor Early American history professor is going to have to deal with my endless questions about James Wilson (who, contrary to the movie 1776, is NOT a toady). If I could find good books on him, I could write volumes on the influence his Classical upbringing had on him!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote a paper on the Classical influences on Hume's thought back in the day.

I can't wait to see what comes from this research, but 50 years earlier than the Battle of Carrhae? I can understand the defeated Romans migrating to China after the Battle of Carrhae. One of the articles I found mentions Roman prisoners moving on eastward to possibly offer their services to a Hun warlord. The article cites fortifications and military formations foreign to the Huns. Of course the article was dated to 1999...

12:28 AM  
Blogger catsagainstbush said...

Whoops, hehe. That article you found covers the same thing except the wooden fortifactions.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home