Thursday, July 14, 2005

Smithsonian Resident Association Program lectures Aug/Sept

Once again, I'd like to announce upcoming lectures at the Smithsonian. This will be a full list for August and September, with weekly reminders as I've been giving.

The first one actually starts today, and apparently I missed it because I was only looking at courses. It's called Marvelous Mosaics and runs from today, July 14, to August 18 at 6:30 PM (still time, perhaps?). There are six sections that teach you how to make mosaics, and they are taught by Alfredo Ratinoff.

On Friday, September 9, from 6:30PM to 9PM, John P. Oleson of University of Victoria and Kim J. Hartswick of George Washington University lecture on Roman Genius: Foundations of Empire. That one looks really interesting!

The following day, Saturday, September 10, from 9:30AM to 4:15PM, Thomas Palaima of University of Texas lectures all day on Decoding Mycenaean Greek Heroic Culture. The topics are: What They Wrote on Clay (How top experts deciphered the Linear B tablets), Life in a Mycenaean Palatial Kingdom (Reconstructing what a functioning palace was like in the 13th century B.C.), People, Places, and Things in the Homeric Age (Linear B texts bring the social, economic, religious, political, and military spheres to life), Gods and Feasts (Reconstructing Mycenaean religious beliefs and ritual practices using Linear B texts). If it didn't cost $126, I'd probably be there! Eheu! I'm also trying to figure out of I've heard of this guy before. His name sounds familiar...

Monday, September 12 brings us The Grandeur That Was—and Is—Rome at 6:30PM with Chef Savino Recine and Michele Scicolone. This one is just listed because it's making me hungry. It's about Italian food. It's one expensive meal, though!

This next one is a little late for this blog, but it's on Medieval Italy—A Virtual Tour! It is Thursday, September 15 at 6:30PM. The tour uses the software of Alessandro Furlan of Altair4 Media in Rome.

And this one is just interesting and only very tangentially related: Wednesday, September 21 at 6:30 PM Forensic Linguistics: Can Words Help Solve a Crime? with Margaret van Naerssen of Immaculata University.

Actually, this one isn't entirely related either, except that Versailles is FILLED with Classically inspired art (if occassionally deviant): The Splendor of Versailles on Saturday, September 24 from 10AM to 4PM with Anne-Marie Quette of the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris and Philip Jacks of George Washington University. I still have many wonderful pictures of Versailles that I might share here some day.

This one also is not directly related, but it, by definition, explores the Classical tradition in art: The Golden Age of Venice on September 24 from 10AM to 4:30PM with John Marciari of Yale University Art Gallery.

Again, the full listings can be found at the Smithsonian Resident Association webpage.

**Another reminder here for THIS coming Tuesday, July 19 (anniversary of the fire!) at 6:30PM Fiddling with Nero with Dr. Steven Rutledge of the University of Maryland.**

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I might go to that lecture on Decoding Mycenaean Greek Heroic Culture. That sounds most fascinating.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you put these reminders up regarding upcoming Smithsonian lectures. I'm attending the Nero lecture Tuesday night and am about to sign up for the 9/9 and maybe the feast on 9/12. Actually the title for the 9/12 lecture "The Grandeur that was-and is-Rome seems most apt.When I was last in Rome I ate very inexpensively, following suggestions in Rick Steves book, and enjoyed the best week of meals in my entire life. Delicious!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Mark

The beautiful thing about Italy is that it's almost impossble to NOT eat well there. If I ever get back there, though, I need to remember to get restaurant suggestions off of my prof. Last time I was in Rome, we went to the place that invended alfredo. mm.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home