Tuesday, July 12, 2005

More Smithsonian reminders...

This is just a reminder for lectures upcoming in the next week at the Smithisonian. The original post, as well as details and links, can be found here.

Monday, July 11 through Thursday, July 14 - The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt with Dr. Bob Brier of Long Island University.

Wednesday, July 13 - A Language History of the World with Nicholas Ostler

Wednesday, July 13 - The Art of Tuscany: Ancient and Medieval Tuscany with Dr. Christiane Joost-Gaugier

Tuesday, July 19 - Fiddling with Nero (on the anniversary of the fire!) with Dr. Steven Rutledge of the University of Maryland

I suppose I'll have to work on a big August/September listing soon too.

In Glaukopis-related news, a date has been set for my Latin Exam of Doom (in which Vergil finally kicks my butt once and for all)--the 21st of this month. The GRE will be sometime after that, but I refuse to think about it until after Latin has killed me is over.

Immediately thence, Greek reviewing will commence, and soon after, I'll be starting a Classical Greece history course. I thought studying Latin (in Ecce Romani II) and reading all the Grene and Lattimore translations of Greek tragedies last summer was already Classicsful. Apparently, I had to out-do myself this summer!

Oh, I've also started listening to the Iliad on CD (unabridged, trans. Fitzgerald, narr. George Guidall) last night. Admittedly, it's in preparation for class, but we're supposed to be reading the Lattimore translation. I just figured I've read the Iliad before, and it would be nice to hear it, even if it's not in Greek. I'll probably flip through Lattimore later, though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that listening to audio versions of classic works is complementary to reading the same. While reading Homer and Sophocles over the past year or so I would listen to the works in my car. I felt that listening to the works really helped augment and clarify my understanding and impressions of the readings. It was interesting to pick up on the actors/narrators voice inflections and compare the emotional content of a scene being read with my impressions of the scene from reading it.

For the Iliad I read Lattimore and Fagles(I can't read Greek) while listening to the recording you mentioned. For the Odyssey I read Lattimore/Fagles while listening to a translation by George Herbert Palmer narrated by Norman Dietz.For Oedipus Rex I listened to the Naxos audiobooks unabridged version. Since these works were all performed/recited publicly in Ancient Greece it seems like an apt way to take these works in.

I enjoy your blog. Good luck on your upcoming exams

5:49 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Mark

Yeah, listening has been a nice experience. I think I notice more things too. I think when I read, I skim over things I think aren't as important. At least when I'm listening to someone else, I'm forced to consider everything more equally (except when the reader is emphasising something, of course), or at least more equally than I normally would.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home