Friday, July 01, 2005

Grad schools and drinking games and books--oh my!

I was talking to my professor yesterday (Wednesday)--after we went over Vergil--about grad schools. Mostly, he seemed to think it would be a grand idea if I stayed where I am and got my MA here before going off to get a PhD. He's also offered to read Greek with my next summer (that would be after I get my BA). We actually have a two year MA program that is designed for people who need to catch up with their languages, which would be good for me, since I did start so late. By the time I graduate next spring, I will have had two years of Greek and two and a half years of Latin (but I moved through Latin rather quickly, so it could be considered the equivalent of 3+ years by then). Based on the research I've done, that's probably the bare minimum for most programs, and I'm really not sure if my good grades, insane number of credits, and extra majors are going to help me enough. I'm afraid I'll go and apply to schools, and the bottom line is going to be that I just didn't start Latin early enough. There are also finances to consider, so I can't just be good enough to get in--I have to be good enough to get financial aid too.

On the other hand, it's good to know that the faculty in my department likes me enough to want me to stick around for another two years. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not sick of me by now.

On a less whiny and more amusing note, my random thought of the day was that it would be damn fun to get a bunch of Classics majors together and play a drinking game next Tuesday while watching The Empire. I've never done a real drinking game, so I shan't pretend to make up rules--but this one I would do, with the right company.

And, finally, on a more serious note, Debra Hamel at blogographos introduces a new site called buyafriendabook.com. Apparently, the first week of January, April, July (that's next week? or does this week count?), and October, you buy a book for a friend for no reason (other than buy-a-friend-a-book week) and give it to them. I like this idea and shall probably participate in it! I'm just afraid I'll get carried away and want to buy books for more than one friend--then I'll go bankrupt. Eheu.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out U Penn's Post Bacc program if you're really in doubt of your skills (http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/clst/index.html). Washington U's program which I am currently in is very adequate too for MA if your goal is reading as much as you can.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Thanks!

I'm trying to avoid Post Bacc programs, though, just because that's extra money spent. Right now my strategy is just to apply to a whole bunch of places, hope no one laughs at me, and see what happens. ;-)

10:23 PM  
Blogger dhamel said...

Hey, thanks for spreading the word about Buy a Friend a Book Week! I hope you do participate and you enjoy it. Me, I've already sent a friend a mystery....

2:11 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

re: Debra Hamel

Oh, of course! That idea was too good *not* to spread!

Love your site, by the way, and thanks for visiting!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home