Sunday, June 26, 2005

Sappho in Greek! And did the Romans "invade" Britain?

Thanks to a wonderful member on Classics-L, we now have the Greek text to the "new" Sappho poem! It's in unicode, so you'll need to have that installed. Otherwise, Borders tells me they will have the TLS probably tomorrow. As soon as I have it, I'll scan it in as a picture file of some sort, probably JPG.

The text is, of course, from Martin West's article in the TLS:

῎Υμμες πεδὰ Μοίσαν ἰ]ο̣κ[ό]λ̣πων
κάλα δῶρα, παῖδες,
σπουδάσδετε καὶ τὰ]ν̣ φιλἀοιδον
λιγύραν χελύνναν·

ἔμοι δ᾽ἄπαλον πρίν] π̣οτ᾽ [ἔ]ο̣ντα
χρόα γῆρας ἤδη
ἐπέλλαβε, λεῦκαι δ’ ἐγ]ένοντο
τρίχες ἐκ μελαίναν·

βάρυς δέ μ’ ὀ[θ]ῦμο̣ς̣ πεπόηται, γόνα
δ’ [ο]ὐ φέροισι,
τὰ δή ποτα λαίψηρ’ ἔον ὄρχησθ’ ἴσα
νεβρίοισι.

τὰ <μὲν> στεναχίσδω θαμέως· ἀλλὰ τί
κεν ποείην;
ἀγήραον ἄνθρωπον ἔοντ᾽ οὐ δύνατον
γένεσθαι

καὶ γἀρ π̣[ο]τ̣α̣ Τίθωνον ἔφαντο
βροδόπαχυν Αὔων
ἔρωι φ̣ . . α̣θ̣ε̣ισαν βάμεν’ εἰς
ἔσχατα γᾶς φέροισα[ν,

ἔοντα̣ [κ]ά̣λ̣ο̣ν καὶ νέον, ἀλλ’
αὖτον ὔμως ἔμαπψε
χρόνωι π̣ό̣λ̣ι̣ο̣ν̣ γῆρας, ἔχ[ο]
ν̣τ’ ἀθανάταν ἄκοιτιν.

My Greek isn't exactly good enough to warrent comments from me. I plan on shoving it in my professor's face on Wednesday, though. If any interesting discussion comes up, it will, of course, be posted here.

Taking a 180 from archaic Greek to "modern" Latin, Father Foster has a new segment up today. He discusses boxing and space-travel and proves that even monks can be snarky.

David Meadows at rogueclassicism also posted an interesting article from the Independent on the Roman Invasion of Britain (or lack thereof?). I have to admit I had the same questions running through my head while reading that as David did. I think the "answer" probably lies somewhere in the middle ground of what was known before and what has recently been discovered.

10 Comments:

Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: gene o'grady

LOL I know, but it's an amusing thought anyway. I like the part where's all, "uh, astronaut is already a Latin word."

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really have to love archaeologists. They find a few little swoards and want to re-write all of history. Sure, Claudius spun the story of his 'invasion,' but Meadows is right. There are just too many questions that arise from trying to make Britain Roman for a full 50 years prior to 43AD.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Yeah, I have to agree. I mean, they're going to have to do *something* to explain those swords, but there's too much evidence for Claudius to deny him that one.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Greek text of Sappho.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

re: Elizabeth

Of course! I'm just glad to have found it myself!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comparing the transcription with the scan there is an error on line five where o [th]umas is o[th]umas. In the scanned text should the omicron in o [th]umas have a rough breathing?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

re: elizabeth

Hunh. If I'm reading that correctly (and, mind you, I've only had a year of Greek), then I would think it should be rough too. I'll ask on the Classics list and maybe my prof tomorrow too.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

re: elizabeth

This is why I love the Classics list. They reply so quickly! They tell me it's a dialectical thing. Aeolic, Sappho's dialect, didn't have initial rough breathings, so the article would be "o," not "ho."

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, found this in H. Smyth's Greek Grammar
section # 10D. Aoelic is an obscure dialect. The TLG-E shows at least two rough breathings on omicorn in Sappho.

1.103.3 K(AI) hEKASTHS hO (PRWTOS)

3, S261a115 hO MUTILHNAIOS EN

Thank you.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not understand this website. It kinda sucks.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home