Friday, June 17, 2005

Since I've dropped you all in media res...

Wow, when I started this blog yesterday, I only expected perhaps a small handful of visitors, most of whom I already knew. Thanks to David Meadows at rogueclassicism for linking here!

I went up to my Classics dept today to drop off some work to one of my professors. After talking a while with her, it struck me--these undergrad days are precious. Don't wish them away too quickly. Yes, it was depressing to see most of my friends graduating this year, when I should have as well, but I am very lucky to have the excuse and the ability to stay an extra year.

I suppose I should explain a bit of my background, since most people here probably don't know exactly where I'm coming from in my quest for grad school. I started as an English major and finally accepted that I was a Classics major in disguise during my Junior year (when you realise you're actually closer to finishing the requirements for the Classics major than you are for your own English major, facing the truth is inevitable). It was then that I started taking Latin, which I had put off for personal reasons until the last possible moment for my English degree. That was my first mistake. I've since rectified it and have now finished the equivalent of two years of Latin and am still looking to make up lost time. I'm translating Vergil's Georgics this summer with one of my professors, and I'm scheduled to take Vergil's Aeneid and Cicero this fall. I started Greek a semester after Latin and shall graduate next spring with a total of two years of Greek. As for non-language Classics courses, I've taken more than I care to count. They're addictive.

But, of course, the intent of this blog is to look forward. I've finally decided that I want to concentrate on Greek tragedies, which were my first real inspirations in Classical studies. Finally, a hint of decisiveness from me!

Thanks, also, to Featherwolf, who affirmed that I should be taking the general GREs. I'll be calling to make an appointment next week, as soon as I can bring myself to face the phone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greek tragedies, eh? It is good that you've started to become decisive- and what a choice! It's perfect for you. I don't think that there is anything I could see you enjoy more than Greek Tragedies- especially ones with Medea in them!

What are these tests you have to take? I'm not familiar with them.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

GREs are kind of like SATs, except they're they measure your aptitude for grad schools. This means they're often more focused (except for the general GREs), and, of course, the material is more advanced.

And yes, how could a person not love Medea? ;-)

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if we have these tests in Canada. We don't have SATs and this would explain why I've never heard of them before. They sound like a good idea. In fact, I would welcome anything which could help me determine how well I am suited to grad school.

Well, yes, everyone loves Medea *song cue* (I'll write the song later!) But you and Medea are like THIS. ;)

12:17 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Well, like the SATs, GREs can be studied. I didn't study for the SATs, because I was too lazy, but now that I actually care about getting into a good grad program, I suppose I should study.

However, I truly believe that the best measure of how well-suited you are for grad school is your previously performance, not a dorky standardised test.

And I expect that Medea song soon! ;-)

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, several of my professors seem to think I'm cut out for grad school. I feel like I MUST go to grad school. But... my education hasn't been thorough. I feel that I still have so much still to learn. Something like a GRE might help me to know if this is just me or if I really am behind.

I will start on that A.S.A.P.!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

I'd trust your profs more.

And I suppose it *might* help if there were actually a Classics GRE.

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home