Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Catching up on Father Foster...

So I was either busy with exams, in Paris, or recovering from Paris when a few of the Father Foster programs came out. I decided to listen to them now (just to spite Vergil), and I was especially amused by the June 4th program, "A Latin Dream." He has a lovely rant at the end about how his Latin is not obscure--people just don't know Latin! Ita vero!

Father Reginald Foster, for those of you who do not know, is the Pope's Chief Latinist. Incidently, he is actually an American. He is also a living, breathing example of why Latin is not a dead language. As I like to say: non mortua--transformata!

And because he was talking about "somnium meum in vita," here's my own: Somnium meum in vita est ut linguam Latinam Patre Fostere noscam.

That should hopefully read, "My dream in life is to study Latin with Father Foster."

I figure I might as well make my Latin mistakes while there are fewer people around to see them. Hopefully, someone nice will correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, that is my other goal, besides grad school. Father Foster is wonderful. He is passionate about Latin, knows the language better than anyone else in the world, and has a sense of humour. I am not Catholic, but I can respect and love that. And besides, how can you not love a man who says, "Without Latin, you should just stay in bed!"?

Although, the way Vergil is "kicking my butt" right now, bed is looking awfully inviting. I certainly shall not be able to finish Book II of the Georgics tonight. I was much too optimistic for my professor. Eheu!

In other news, it is purportedly Alexander the Great's birthday. This reminds me that I've only 11 years left to conquer the known world. I'm two years behind on ruling my own kingdom. Hrm. Suggestions?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*admits to copying that last paragraph to show it to a friend, to prove to her that she is NOT the queen of snarkiness*

4:53 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::smirk:: Excellentissimus!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or maybe:

Somnium meum est in vita ut Patre Fostere linguam Latinam studeam...

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home