Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Google Earth and a wee bit more of Sappho

A "dear" friend of mine just introduced me to Google Earth. This is not an explicitly Classics-related link, but it has "torpedoed [my] productivity" because I keep looking up sites related to antiquity! Forgive the momentary lapse into slang, but--it's REALLY DAMN COOL!

I've found the Colosseum, the Vatican (you can even see the statues on top of St. Peter's as little dots!), the Acropolis, and the Louvre (which houses many artefacts from antiquity). It's terribly addictive!

I should probably return to Vergil (we had a horrible fight last night, but I was probably just cranky because it was late), but before I go, I wanted to share with all of you one of my favourite paintings: Sappho and Erinna in a Garden at Mytilene, 1864.

The painting is by Simeon Solomon, and I came across it a month and a half ago while looking desperately for some illustration for my presentation on female homosexuality in antiquity. Clearly, we now know that Sappho and Erinna were not contemporaries, but it's a wonderful painting anyway.

Valete!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home