Monday, June 27, 2005

This one's for the bibliophiles!

Apparently, Amazon.com has seen fit to release the entire set of Penguin paperback books for about $8000. That is, supposedly, a 40% savings, and it does include the multiple translations of Homer--as well as all the other Classical authors they've published, including Aeschylus, Aesop, Apollonius of Rhodes, Appian, Apuleis, Aristophanes, Aristotle, Augustine of Hippo, Marcus Aurelius, Julius Caesar, Marcus Tullius Cicero, Cassius Dio, Euripides, Eusebius, Heraclitus, Herodotus, Justinian, Titus Livy, Ovid, Plato, Petronius, Plautus, Pliny the Elder, Plotinus, Plutarch, Sallust, Seneca, Sophocles, Suetonius, Tacitus, Thucydides, Virgil, Xenophon, and any others I missed what skimming. It's interesting to see how inconsistant they are with Roman names (which I've typed as they listed them).

That, of course, also includes all of the later "classics," including all of Shakespeare and even the Letters of John & Abigail Adams (which I already have--and believe me you, they are steeped in the Classical tradition).

This is me drooling, by the way, and wishing I had $8000 to spare. Alas, the life of a poor college student does not allow for this. Donations are, as always, quite welcome.

Something else, quite unrelated, that has also come across my radar (this time, via the Classics-L list again), is a new GreekTranscoder program, which is free and apparently allows for easy conversion between one Greek text to another. This means, for instance, if you can't read the Unicode I've put up for the Sappho text, you can run it through this transcoder into a text you can read. Although, it might just be easier to download and install the Unicode font! But in terms of publishing and updating older texts with older fonts, this promises to be a very useful tool! I've yet to try it, but I'm downloading it now!

Still no word, by the way, on my own copy of the June 24th edition of the TLS. Borders tells me they don't have it in yet, which is somewhat vexing. I shall try again this evening and tomorrow morning before I go in for Latin. Rest assured, as soon as it's in my hands, you all will get to see a scanned copy. I'm thinking of picking up extras, if anyone is ultimately unable to get a copy for themselves. Again, the life of a poor college student doesn't allow me to do this for free, so I'd probably need to be reimbursed. They appear to be running for $5 (shipping will depend on where you live), and my e-mail address is listed in my profile.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Transcoder thing's interesting, but yeah, it's a lot easier to just get the unicode.

Also, I was wondering if I could make a request? First off, let me say I really dig your blog. But have you ever considered setting up your blog with an RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed? Being a blog-reader gets real exhausting once your daily read list > 20 or so blogs. Being able to check up on all my blogs at once via an RSS digest is a really spiffy solution.

Totally selfish of me, I know, as it requires (a little) less work for me and (a little) more for you, but it does make your readers' lives easier. (some of em, anyway)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Will Atom do? Here's the feed for that: http://glaukopidos.blogspot.com/atom.xml

I see you're on livejournal. I'm pretty sure they use Atom too. I can set up RSS if want, though.

Thanks for visiting!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, that's perfect, I found it, thanks.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home