Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A milestone of sorts

Well, I've had my 1000th visitor today! Thanks to everyone who's visited so far, and I hope to see you back! I admittedly never expected to reach 1000 quite so soon.

Unfortunately, my review of The Empire is going to have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. I got called in to work tonight, but I do have it on tape. I did, however, catch the last fifteen minutes, and I can tell you right now that it did not look promising.

I also wanted to remind those of you in the D.C. area about upcoming Classics-related lectures at the Smithsonian:

Saturday, July 9 - The Gnostic Gospels with Dr. Bart D. Ehrman of University of North Carolina.

Tuesday, July 12 - Malta's Temples of Stone Age Genius with Linda Eneix.

Monday, July 11 through Thursday, July 14 - The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt with Dr. Bob Brier of Long Island University.

Edit: The original Smithsonian posting (along with details) can be found here.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found you blog yesterday, so maybe I was the thousandth. For those in the D.C. area there is also a Smithsonian lecture on Tuesday July 19 "Fiddling with Nero".

11:09 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Yeah, that one's in the original post. I've just been re-announcing them every week. Thanks!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, I missed the orignal post. I am all signed up for the Nero lecture and looking forward to Professor Rutledge's perspective. A couple of years ago in Rome I received a great tour from a classicist who felt that Nero was a much better Emperor than generally preceived.

The Smithsonian does a great job with these numerous and tempting lectures. Last year I heard Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, whose comments I have always found so interesting on those History channel shows.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

That's ok. It was an earlier post, and I'd meant to link to it again and had forgotten.

The Nero lecture looks good. Have you been to these before?

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually make it to four or five Smithsonian lectures a year. Last year I heard Barry Strauss lecture about The Battle of Salamis and Andrew Wallace-Hadrill and others discuss Stabaie. Great stuff!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Oh wow. I haven't been to any of them yet, sadly.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Joe

Link is fixed, thanks!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Joe

Yeahhh, they're pricey! The single-lectures are much more affordable, though.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home