Friday, July 01, 2005

The mundane struggles of a Classics major

I was debating whether or not to post today, because what I have to say today isn't exactly--well, exciting new Sappho. But a Classics major's life isn't all fun and games. Sometimes, it's just the internal struggle.

My first point is one with which I'm sure you're all familiar. My parents and I saw some preview for a movie with Orlando Bloom, and my mom turns to me and asks, "Wasn't he in that movie? Tr... Trail... or something?"

At this point, I wanted to stab my eyes out. I love my mother, but she honestly does not know anything about what I study. The most she knows is through that mockery of a movie, and she didn't even remember the name of that.

Then again, she also thinks that in my Classics classes, we read Shakespeare. At least, though, she saw Hecuba with me and enjoyed it! But she made me laugh when she said, "I wish she hadn't killed the children!"

My second point is one that someone else brought up in comments--Post Bacc programs. I've pretty much decided I don't want to do one, for a couple reasons. The first is because it will be extra money I can't really afford to spend. The second is because I'm already a fifth year undergrad student. I'd really rather not delay any longer. I've done enough that, at the very least, my own department will probably take me for their MA program, so I no longer see the necessity of Post Bacc programs for me. The real conflict is whether or not I'll be laughed out if I wanted to apply to MA/PhD programs also.

Currently, my rather haphazard strategy is to apply to several places and see what happens. I have various professors telling me conflicting things about my chances out there. I figure the best I can do is just try to apply and make sure I have back-ups.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blogname in a Livejournal group, and I'm curious to know how and with what ease and help you are pursuing a classics major.
I decided I want to do something quite similar after I discovered the wealth of Greek drama. (I am quite nearly in love with Aeschylus)

If you would like, I would appreciate any information you would be willing to give on the matter. I am only a sophomore, and would love guidance. My school e-mail is Russe2sj@cmich.edu
Thank you so much

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can believe it, I only applied to one grad program. I got in, but it was still a risk. And my logic was not sound. You should apply to a number of places though, of various levels of respectability. apply to a few top 10, a few top 20.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Wow, that must have been a bit nerve-wrecking. But then, I suppose you could always take off a year and re-apply the next if you hadn't.

But yeah, I'm so uncertain about where I stand that I'm just going to have to apply to a variety of places. Thanks!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home