Monday, July 18, 2005

Sappho on Buffy!

A wonderful friend of mine just pointed out to me that the character Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer draws a Sappho poem in Greek on the back of her girlfriend, Tara, in the season 4 finale. She sent me pictures from www.buffyworld.com. They can be found here and here. I'm not sure about that site's policy on direct linking, so if there's a problem, and someone there reads this, let me know.

Anyway, those pictures are clear enough that I've matched it to Sappho I, one of the complete poems. It's the one where she asks Aphrodite for help "again." You can even see Aphrodite's name spelled out in those pictures! Random digression: I'm also trying to figure out why I didn't use this poem in the Sappho section of my paper on female homosexuality in aniquity. It must have been because Sappho was already eating my paper. But still, I'm kicking myself right now.

So yeah, I was really excited about that!

I've also been linked, by another friend, to this article on Pompeiian silver found five years ago. It's yahoo and not very long.

On the Classics-L list another article on the "musical" version of The Persians has come up (it's a NYT article--you'll have to register to see it, but registering is free. You can also check the list archives). Also on Classics-L is a link from the Washington Post for an article about archaeology at Butrint.

I'm also going to take this moment to say that David Meadows at rogueclassicism needs to come back already so that I don't feel obligated to post every Classics-related link that comes my way! ;-)

Edit: Another article on the Pompeiian silver from CNN here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Joe

Joss Whedon IS genius! Have you seen Firefly??

And yes, I did see Mr. Meadows on Classics-L a day or two ago! I guess his connection isn't good enough to be posting to RC also. I'll do a real plug for you in my next post. I meant to earlier and then kinda forgot...

8:53 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::grin:: I don't know anyone who has seen it who doesn't love it. I bought the DVD set on a whim, and I most certainly do NOT regret it!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: David

Well, we certainly miss you here! Although, I think I've been getting more hits the last couple days, just because people don't have RC to read! ;-)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home