Saturday, July 16, 2005

Greek Transcoder v.1.0.2

First of all, I wanted to apologise for the radio silence here. Unfortunately, Glaukopis cannot afford her expensive book habit without holding a job. That job, fortunately or unfortunately, is at a bookstore. Unfortunately, the price of a job at a bookstore means having your soul consumed this weekend by the new Harry Potter release. Sadly, it does not look like Harrius Potter sold at our store at all. Eheu! But the weekend is not yet over!--she said with heavily concealed enthusiasm.

See, I want this kind of enthusiasm for newly discovered Sappho. I want to throw a huge party for the release of Sappho's poetry that hasn't been seen in millenia. I want to hold my breath at midnight as the new edition of the TLS with full Greek text finally comes out of boxes decorated like Greek pottery and people scurry into the line to get their very own copy (or two--or three!). I want to hear squeals of academic delight as people unfold the delicate grey pages to reveal freshly printed Greek text previously known only to those long dead and to a handful of scholars who first discovered the text.

And you know what? We can even recycle the fake round glasses as everyone dresses up to be the academic ancient Greek geek.

Ah, but who am I kidding? I've never been a huge fan of hype.

But now back to the title of this post! Apparently, the Greek Transcoder has been updated again. This news is actually a couple days old, methinks, but I've been rather busy.

My random digression seems to have swallowed this bulk of this post, but I don't really feel like changing the title.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Admittedly, HP is better than some of the other stuff they could be reading, but I completely agree. And I want Sappho! ;-)

11:55 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Well, yeah. I've never *really* read HP, but considering it's for children, I can't really fault it for being simple.

So many reasons to love Sappho... ;-)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Joe

No, I understand what you mean. HP is good for what it's supposed to be. Although, there are some people out there who DO mix that up the way they do the Da Vinci Code.

And yeah, I get excited every time somebody asks for Homer, and I go there and tell them which editions to buy. ::grin::

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home