Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The BFG

So what does one do when one is dreading an impending Latin Exam of DOOM? Naturally, one takes out a favourite chiddler's book, Roald Dahl's The BFG, and starts reading about bonecrunching giants eating human beans. And, of course, one can't help but think that Dahl was at least partially influenced by Odysseus and Polyphemus. I almost want to write a paper about it! Almost.

Then again, I also always think of Richard III whenever I watch The Lion King now--so perhaps I'm just insane.

Anyway, I also wanted to plug old school, which is run by a couple undergrads at UMBC and is about ancient history, classics, and archaeology. Classics blogs abounding!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are insane. Most of us think Hamlet. Timon and Pumba? So Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Which makes Lion King 1 1/2 into Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Estelle Chauvelin

Well, I think Hamlet too, but come ON! Scar is SO RIII!!! And RIII is a better play. So there!

And I never saw LK 1 1/2.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neither did I. I just inferred from its premise that it must be R&G Are Dead, and then the DVD review in the local paper said it, too.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Estelle Chauvelin

Hrm, yeah. I didn't really follow it enough to think long on't. ;-) But I'll assume you're right!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home