Friday, November 18, 2005

All About Love (and other obscure classically related musicals)

I used to pride myself (sorta) in my knowledge of obscure musicals based on great literature (particularly 19th century lit), but I have been out-done! I was sitting in an ancient philosophy class today (one that I'm only half-taking, but that's another story altogether), and our professor told us about this musical, All About Love, based on Plato's Symposium.

I'm trying to decide if I'm still the musical theatre nut I used to be or if my Plato love is such that I would order the cast recording for this. It's a difficult decision. But then, I have the musical Paris (based on the Iliad), so I suppose I have some sort of obligation here. For the musical theatre geeks out there, the Paris recording includes Philip Quast as Patroclus. It is very cheesy, very '80s musical that at least has amusing entertainment value.

Of course, there's also Sondheim's The Frogs, but that's Sondheim and thus not entirely obscure. The Boys from Syracuse is also worth a listen, but again, not so obscure that a good musical theatre fan wouldn't know about it. Incidently, Davis Gaines is on both of those cast recordings. Malcom Gets and Rebecca Luker are both on The Boys from Syracuse too, and Nathan Lane and Brian Stokes Mitchell are both on The Frogs.

Oh! And how could I even POSSIBLY forget Marie Christine, which has both Audra McDonald and Anthony Crivello?? It's a modernised version of Medea and is absolutely fabulous.

But I don't think any of these are quite as obscure as All About Love. At least there are some bigger musical theatre names on these recordings... And I'm sure I'm missing something, but I hadn't really intended to turn this into a musical theatre post!

On a completely unrelated note, after my Roman Homosexuality presentation yesterday, we were discussing Dracula in my English class today. Now, Dracula is already a highly sexually charged novel, obviously, but thinking about it in light of Roman sexuality made it that much more... interesting. And there are more musicals based on Dracula than I even care to count. :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home