Sunday, November 13, 2005

Harry Who?

Apparently, there's a new book series out following in the Harry Potter model about a kid who finds out he's a demigod. It draws from Greek myths and has a character named Annabeth, who is the daughter of Athena. I'd like to see how they manage that one.

Anyway, the full article is here, but it'll require registering at the NY Times website (which is free). The series is called The Lightning Thief, and it's by Rick Riorden.

In other news, I just bought two more Loebs, the OCT for Tacitus, another book on Egyptian hieroglyphics, another book on Alexander, and another translation of the Georgics. ... WHY?! This is in addition to the Oxford Dictionary of the Classical World, Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad, James Davidson's Courtesans and Fishcakes (you have NO idea how hard it was for me to get this), and a book on Vikings (yay!)--all of which I bought yesterday. Employee sales, when working at a bookstore, just means that you give them all of your money back. Eheu.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Loebs? How dare you think other classicist nerds would not want to know :)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

LOL Oh dear. Well, they were Euripides III (Suppliant Women, Electra, Heracles) and Plato I (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Phaedrus).

12:13 AM  
Blogger pbartleby said...

"James Davidson's Courtesans and Fishcakes (you have NO idea how hard it was for me to get this)"

I picked this book up yesterday exclusively because of your post, and you know what, a perfect match. And in a nice coincidence I had just gotten in the mail that morning a book called The Classical Cookbook (Dalby/Grainger) full of recipes from the Greeks and Romans. (I'll let you know how they come out.)

Curious, why was the book so hard for you to get? Am I going to feel bad for getting it quickly and cheaply?

-pb

10:34 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Oh that's excellent! And mostly it was so difficult because I was trying to order it from work, rather than actually go out hunting for the book elsewhere. It's just old enough that we have difficulty getting it. But I ended up getting a nice employee discount on it, so don't feel bad getting it cheap.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home