Sunday, September 24, 2006

'Tis a silly question . . .

This being my last post from this side of the pond, I thought I'd pose a question to you, dear readers, for discussion.

Monty Python. Fully half of my Classics profs have at some point gone off into a MP tangent that related to and perhaps assisted in illustrating part of the lesson. My medieval mythology prof also did this (and if you knew her, despite the fact that it was an Arthurian legends class, you'd be a bit shocked at how long she re-enacted a MP scene also), as well as others I'm probably forgetting at the moment. Homo Edax and In the Middle both recently included MP in their blog posts.

Thus, my question: is it actually a requirement that Classics profs and other profs in related fields (e.g. mythology, medieval studies) learn/memorize Monty Python and incorporate it in their lessons (be they lectures or blog posts!)? If you're a student, have you had similar experiences? If you're a teacher/prof, do you use MP as well?

I'm assuming the answer is "yes," because who doesn't love MP? But feel free to prove me wrong. ;-)

My friend, incidently, got me some HOLY GRAIL the other day. [chorus of "ahhhhhh!"] In fact, she presented it to me directly after we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Yes, be jealous!

Edited to add: Oh, and something more relevant/useful: free Latin readers with animal movements and sounds. Adorable!! I just got that from the Latinteach list.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my Classics professors used Monty Python's penis song as an example of euphamism in his course on Greek and Latin roots in English.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::laughs!:: That is too priceless.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a book coming out in which I use this scene to illustrate a problem in the interpretation of Latin poetry:

MAYNARD: It reads, ‘Here may be found the last words of Joseph of Arimathea. He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the Holy Grail in the Castle of uuggggggh’.
ARTHUR: What?
MAYNARD: ‘... the Castle of uuggggggh’.
BEDEVERE: What is that?
MAYNARD: He must have died while carving it.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, come on!
MAYNARD: Well, that’s what it says.
ARTHUR: Look, if he was dying, he wouldn’t bother to carve ‘aaggggh’. He’d just say it!
MAYNARD: Well, that’s what’s carved in the rock!
GALAHAD: Perhaps he was dictating.
Monty Python, ‘The Search for the Holy Grail

3:32 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Hah! I love that scene!

And what book might this be?? If you don't mind letting us know, that is.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK; I was in a hurry the other day and wasn't sure I had time to explain, but I am Jim O'Hara of UNC-Chapel Hill and the book is

James J. O'Hara, Inconsistency in Roman Epic: Studies in Catullus, Lucretius, Vergil, Ovid and Lucan,
forthcoming Cambridge, December.
The problem is the question of whether or not an author like Lucretius or Vergil or Lucan, like Joseph of Arimathea in "Holy Grail", meant to revise some problematic part of his text but was prevented from doing so by his death.

http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521646421
http://www.amazon.com/Inconsistency-Roman-Epic-Lucretius-Literature/dp/0521646421/sr=8-1/qid=1159549022/ref=sr_1_1/002-3742642-6580065?ie=UTF8&s=books

1:06 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Thanks for the info! It sounds quite fascinating. I'll keep my eyes out for it!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home