Monday, September 04, 2006

Playing catch-up

My apologies, I've been a bit busy the last few days. Anyway, these are just a few updates I've been meaning to do.

I got this one from the Classics-L list. Apparently Harvard has a service for searching a number of language dictionaries, including Latin, Greek, and Sumerian. It can be found here: Pollux: Archimedes Project Dictionary Access.

Also, a few days ago, there was a bit on a very exciting Etruscan sanctuary discovery:
-Italian (if you can read it)
-English (not as detailed as the Italian, from what I gather)

The last one is just hilarious: Towards Proto-Cow

Lastly, I've changed the graphic, yet again, but if you enjoy staring at shiny moving Medea, you can still stare at her here for the time being.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aine Bina said...

Very cool Etruscan link. I also like the cows. It's funny though: if/since animals don't have regional dialects, why do different cultures mimic animal noises in different ways?

9:20 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

I think it's actually a mix of things. Partially, it probably does have to do with the different animal dialects, but I also think it's the difference in the way we hear and process language. Different languages have different sounds (some of which are impossible or at least extremely difficult for non-native speakers to imitate), suggesting that each linguistic group of people would probably hear and imitate an animal sound differently, even if they were to hear the exact same cow noise (for example). I mean, that's why we have so many different accents when people are trying to imitate the same language. A Chinese person and a French person produce very different sounds when they speak English, so it would stand to reason they'd imitate a cow differently. Not that I'm at all sure how the Chinese or the French imitate cows. :-P

2:38 AM  
Blogger Aine Bina said...

Yes, yes. I was just being cute. One of my horse magazines had all the different words for "neigh" from around the world. Some of them completely flabbergasted me.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

lol! I can believe that.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home