Saturday, August 26, 2006

How the ancient and modern, yet again, collide

It looks like David Meadows is back at rogueclassicism!! I'm sure we're all thrilled and relieved.

Anyway, this just amuses me: Bronze age canoe stops pipeline. I love it when ancient stuff forces itself upon us when and where we're least expecting it in our little bubbles of modernity.

Also, did anyone else see The Zeitgeist Checklist earlier this month (also here with little pictures ? In particular:

THE PASSION OF THE SCHNOOK

Mel-tdown. Drunken-driver Mel Gibson offers provocative theory that "the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." A brief furor erupts when it is revealed that police cleaned up the arresting officer's report, particularly the part where Gibson elaborated on Jewish aggression in the Punic Wars, the War of Jenkins' Ear and the defeat of the Persians at Thermopylae, which Gibson claimed "involved a couple of guys named Goldfarb." Still, Gibson insists he is not an anti-Semite, blaming his tirade on his struggles with alcoholism and depression, and also on his hatred of Jews.


I'd comment, but what could I possibly say?

Lastly, I had a little fun with Photoshop Elements today and created a new sidebar picture for the blog. Hope it amuses all of you as much as it amuses me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new graphic is foreshadowing all the hoops (some burning, some merely growing red hot) that you will have to leap through as you pursue a career in Classics. Sight exams, German and French exams, special author exams, possible MA exams, oral exams, the thesis, the thesis defense, job interviews and the application process, the first publication, the tenure process. Ooooh boy! Maybe you should take down that graphic - my head's a-spinnin'!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

That just makes me want to leave it up more. :-P

Though I might take it down later anyway, just because the idea of Medea riding off in perpetuity disturbs me a bit.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it rather Sisyphian, the graphic, that is. Medea flies off only to return to where she was, never getting anywhere. Perhaps you have created your own condemnation for her of whom you are so fond.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::laughs:: That's an interesting thought.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home