Thursday, August 17, 2006

Book Meme!!

I was apparently tagged for this meme by Chris Weimer some time ago! But better late than never, eh? You should also all be warned that I interpret "one" losely when it comes to such memes. :-P Y'know, because I'm a stupid English major who can't count. ;-)

1. One book that changed your life:

Oh my. Ok, it's a toss up between Jane Eyre, Medea, and Antigone. Jane Eyre in less tangible ways; Medea is pretty obvious to anyone who knows me, and Antigone . . . Well, I read it first when I was about 10, and look at me now. :-P




2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

Hah! Only one?! Well, Jane Eyre, again, gets read regularly, as does The Lord of the Rings.



3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

Hmm, I've always said The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, but how about my MacBook with working internet access and some kind of power source? Then I can have access to Gutenberg.org and Perseus and every other e-text!



4. One book that made you laugh:

Oh, many books make me laugh! But I'm going to go with Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. I think I was laughing every five seconds!



5. One book that made you cry:

I'm going to have to mention Jane Eyre here again but also add Book 4 of the Aeneid.



6. One book that you wish had been written.

The Autobiography of Sappho by Sappho herself, not some later fictional account!

7. One book that you wish had never been written.

The Phantom of Manhattan. Don't ask. Yes, I wasted a couple hours of my life on it. There's also a book that Bronteana once found called Disciplining Jane, methinks, and the Amazon description alone made me certain it never should have been written.



(Not sure why I'm linking this one. And I refuse to link the other one.)

8. One book you’re currently reading:

Oh, I just posted about these in Glauk recs, but Euripides' Alcestis is one.



9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

The LIST is TOO LONG.

10. Now tag five people: Bronteana, Aine Bina, Debra Hamel, Homo Edax, Jeffrey Cohen, and since I can't count--if she reads this at all--Mary Beard

10 Comments:

Blogger Brontëana said...

Okay, MacBook so doesn't count!!

Gutenburg and Perseus indeed! Shame on you!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::giggles:: I'm an INTP, it's my job to cheat! I mean, to think outside the box . . .

11:41 PM  
Blogger dhamel said...

I'm afraid I just did this one yesterday! Here's mine: http://dhamel.typepad.com/deblog/2006/08/the_book_meme_c.html

12:25 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Silly me! I don't know why I didn't see that earlier!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you think of the Laughter of Aphrodite (which is assume is the later fictional account of which you speak in number 6)?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Aine Bina said...

I did your silly meme! Satisfied? Anyway, it's at my staging blog

4:08 PM  
Blogger Aine Bina said...

Are you having issues signing in now that they switched to this thrice darned beta? I essentially have to leave someone a note to get signed in.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Anonymous -- I actually haven't read it, but there are a handful of fictional accounts of Sappho, actually.

Re: Aine Bina -- Yays! I shall go check. And no, I haven't had problems logging in, but I mostly don't even log out!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Aine Bina said...

I certainly don't intentionally log out! But I think I've got it figured out now.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Ah hah, good luck!!

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home