Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sheeeeee's BACK!

My apologies for the prolonged hiatus. I realized after exams that I was just too exhausted for much of anything. Plus, I still have various preparations to make for England.

On a somewhat related note, I just learned from blogographos that Mary Beard has a blog called A Don's Life. It looks very interesting so far.

Now that we've observed the new, let us take a moment to contemplate the old. You see, although I did not put this in my profile, I actually have a third major, history (and now EVERYONE who knows me will know who I am, but I think everyone figured it out anyway). Anyway, I was at the history department's graduation, and our Commencement Address was actually quite good. The one problem I did have, though, was before that when a person who shall remain nameless was speaking. He said something to the tune of, "Besides American and European, we also have courses in [a bunch of place-names] and ancient Rome." I was pretty floored. Since when is ancient Rome not part of European history?? I mean, I was thankful that our department was actually acknowledging ancient Rome (I fear they often ignore student complaints that not enough ancient history is being taught), but I find that misconception that it is somehow different from European history a little disturbing. Plus, I heard no mention of ancient Greece in that particular speech, which was a little disturbing to an aspiring Hellenist.

Perhaps I shouldn't care about these things so much, but I suppose it is just the nitpick in me.

Anyway, there were a few things I wanted to post about upon my return, but methinks I'll have to go dig them up again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brontëana said...

It's only the usual... I came across an article on Bertha which brought up a Classical reference to her. Only the author didn't bother to find out what it was refering to but just lumped it into 'non-European'. ??? (It was, in fact, a Roman reference). The tone was one of: "oh yeah, and here's another description to prove my point, whatever..."

I can sort of understand not being literate in the Classics in our time, but when you actually quote something you don't understand, you deserve to be snarked, that's all. Just saying ;)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

GAH!!! Why??? ::sigh:: People need to learn to look things up.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home