Wednesday, April 12, 2006

So there IS hope after all!

Some of you may remember that I originally started this blog as a sort of account of trying to get into grad school for Classics. Clearly, it morphed into a much more generalized Classics blog, because honestly, who just wants to read the whinings of a grad-student-wannabe? Well, except, perhaps, other people trying to get in also.

Anyway, while the fact that I'm a late-comer to Latin and especially Greek in undergrad has hindered me from getting into some PhD programs of my choice (which, honestly, was not a surprise to me at all), starting late is apparently not completely hopeless. I've an offer for the MPhil at Cambridge, which while more reasonable was also a bit beyond my actual expectations.

The main problem now will be scrounging up the money for't. There is, of course, also the fact that it will probably be more affordable to do a post-bac. Decisions, decisions.

However, I still think the moral of the story is to start your languages before the second semester of your junior year in undergrad. The only reason I could fit in an almost decent amount of Latin before graduating was because I defied people in a couple things, and I also decided to stay an extra year as an undergrad. And believe me you, that was not without a few bumps in the road, from which my buttocks are still recovering.

Still, it's nice to finally be seeing the end of this road and the beginning of the next one. And I have 39 days left until graduation. Time sure does fly.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike in Bed-Stuy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Although...aren't buttocks plural?

mikeyboy

10:48 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Yeahhh, typo. ::grumble::

This is the other reason I'm shocked they accepted me. I found two really BIG typos in one of my writing samples *after* I submitted them!

10:52 AM  
Blogger catsagainstbush said...

Congrats!

what were the requirements for the writing samples you had to turn in?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but both of mine were about 15 pages.

And thanks!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Chris Weimer said...

Congrats Glaukopis! Now I envy thee.

Chris

3:49 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Aww, thanks! But don't envy too much until I can come up with the money!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home