Sunday, November 19, 2006

Stonehenge

I got this from rogueclassicism, and this part rather bothers me:

“In the case of Stonehenge, I suggest that the presiding deity was a prehistoric equivalent of the Greek and Roman god of healing, Apollo. Although his main sanctuary was at Delphi in Greece, it is widely believed that he left Greece in the winter months to reside in the land of the Hyborians – usually taken to be Britain.

I hadn't heard that about Apollo, but even that aside, it does bother me a bit when other gods are referred to as "equivalents" to certain Greek and Roman gods. Yes, syncretization went around all over the ancient world, but it's a rather Graeco-Roman-centric view, in my opinion. None of these gods, even between the Greeks and Romans, were exact "equivalents." At best, they were "similar" or "not unlike." There isn't a perfect paradigm of gods in each culture that lines up with the Greek or Roman gods. And if there is, there shouldn't be (well, it wouldn't be perfect anyway).

But that aside, certainly an interesting theory.

And now Glaukôpis is glad that blogging is done by typing rather than speaking. For her sore throat has grown quite painful, and she suspects her hacking up of lungs would scare her dear readers away quite quickly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd heard that. About Apollo leaving Delphi for the land of the Hyboreans in the winter, that is, not that it had anything to do with Stonehenge. I'd also heard that Dionysus was supposed to cover for him at Delphi sometimes in the winter. I don't think I ever heard what Classical references there were about this, but it came up in my Greco-Roman magic class my last quarter.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Hmm, fascinating! I'd love to find out the Classical references.

I don't *think* the article was *actually* trying to claim that Stonehenge is related to that, but they sure are milking it.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home