Friday, November 10, 2006

Academia in Drama and more on BBC's Ancient Rome

Literally as my friend was just telling me (jokingly) there should be a TV show about Classics departments rather than another law or doctor show, this popped into my mailbox from the Classics-L list. Apparently, academia really is dramatic.* Although I'm not sure anyone would actually tune in to a TV show about Classics academia. Can you imagine the viewers? "Why aren't they talking about Shakespeare?!"

Although, I have always wondered why, in CSI-whatever, Horatio's friends don't pick up skulls and say, "Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him, Horatio."

In completely unrelated news, Mary Beard has posted about the panel discussion I mentioned the other day. I was hoping she'd post about it, which is why I didn't provide quite as much as I might otherwise have done.

*Edit to add: I suppose the play Proof by David Auburn is another example of academia in drama, and that is, honestly, one of my favourite modern plays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home