Monday, October 16, 2006

CFP and Research Rambling

UNC-Duke Graduate Colloquium in Classics, if anyone's interested.

My own area of research is completely unrelated at the moment. I'm trying to save Euripides' Orestes from hated bastard-child obscurity where others have failed. Many of my ideas have been put forth already with seemingly little success (I say that because most people still seem to think this play is a hated bastard-child--you should see the looks I get!), but I'm going to find my angle if it KILLS me.

Euripides was not stupid. And he knew what he was doing with this play.

Too bad I can't take on Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glaukôpis said...

It's that deus ex machina ending that a lot of people think is too disjointed and stuck on when Euripides realized he'd written himself into a corner. Granted, a lot more people seem to be recognizing its value in modern scholarship, but most people I've talked to don't ever say they "loved" it! They give me odd looks and nod and smile, or they--again--complain about the ending. I'm so glad there's somebody else who loves it. I really think it's a brilliant play.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home