Sunday, February 05, 2006

More on the Medea Project

Well, I confess I was so darned curious about that Medea Project mentioned in the previous post, that I thought I'd e-mail Dr. Rabinowitz and ask her about it myself. I mean, her e-mail and phone number were plastered on the article, so I hardly think it was too out of line.

Anyway, she e-mailed me back very promptly! And she was very friendly. Apparently, she's not really affiliated with the project and was just talking about it and explaining its use. The article didn't actually say either way, so I wasn't sure myself.

She also attached a draft of what she read to the APA. Since I don't have any explicit permission to post it, I shan't. However, while I'm still not sure I agree with all the logic behind the Medea Project, I do believe some of it has been cleared up for me. She explicitly addresses the Euripidean ending. Apparently, in their modernized version of the play, the modern Medea actually dies.

She also talks more about the women this project is helping (and they're not *just* reading/staging Medea) and emphasizes that there is a certain amount of Personal Responsibility as well. Moreover, she emphasizes that the theatre alone cannot assist these women and that other reforms and work need to be done.

Anyway, I'm quite glad I e-mailed her. It's clear she cares a lot about prison education. And while I may be a bit skeptical myself about associating specifically Medea with prison inmates, the project has some very good ideas behind it.

Edited to add: I'm a little weirded out that blogger seems to have lost my post from yesterday. I hope it reappears soon...

Well, if anyone's looking for the post, it seems to be accessible here, but blogger is not acknowledging its existence any longer. Ho hum.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a grad performance studies student at NYU doing some research on Rhodessa JOnes. Would you be able to forward me via email the information you were passed along?
Thanks!
Jackie McDonnell
jrm421@nyu.edu

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home