Thursday, December 22, 2005

For the grad school seeking...

There are few things happier than nearing the completion of another semester. Although, were I to be sure that I'd get into a good grad program, I'd be even happier.

Anyway, all my exams are done, and I am now free to focus solely on this one paper about Apollonius' Medea as she emerges from a Hellenistic setting. Of course, I'm also trying to have it done by tomorrow. Hm. Well, I shall prevail.

But my friend did just show me a most interesting article, not directly related to Classics, but important for people in grad school: Student Finds a Stolen Thesis by Thinking Like a Thief

And whaddaya know. It just popped up on the Classics-L list too.

David Meadows also posted yesterday about What They Don't Teach You in Graduate School. I've actually been warned about some of that already, but it's useful.

10 Comments:

Blogger the foppish baker said...

She goes to all that trouble, and the moral of the story is still 'make copies'. Colour me unimpressed... :/

1:44 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::snerk:: What would you prefer?

1:47 AM  
Blogger the foppish baker said...

Um... how about a story about someone smart enough to actually make copies, which are then systematically destroyed by a jealous fellow student, but she doesn't notice because you wouldn't check your backups unless you lost your main copy (except to save new work, so the jealous student will have to work quicky) and then the jealous student takes the main copy, then the copy-making student realises her work is lost and tracks down the last copy and the student who stole it. That first story totally isn't news. Of course, my story is totally a really bad movie or something, but whatever...
(Also, it's sad that I sometimes mess up reading these word verification things.)

2:33 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::giggles:: I think that is probably funnier right now than it really is, because I've not gotten much sleep.

And yeah, I mess them up too. ::SIGH:: But seriously, sometimes their Is look like Js or vice versa.

2:36 AM  
Blogger the foppish baker said...

Note to self: It is flattering to tell really bad jokes late at night! High self-esteem, here I come! (Says the already-arrogant moi...)

3:10 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Mmmkay. I'm hungry. Bake me something, o foppish baker!

3:16 AM  
Blogger the foppish baker said...

Well there is leftover of the mille crepes cake I made tonight. ;) There is even a pretty picture for you to look at in my blog. And I guess I will post about the bread I made tomorrow. (Meaning, I will post about it tomorrow, not that I will post about the bread I made tomorrow, which is a grammatical/temporal impossibility.)

3:26 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Right. Make me drool over what I can't access and eat. Hrmph.

3:32 AM  
Blogger the foppish baker said...

Well, you did ask. ;p
I could mail you... biscotti or something sometime.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Haha! That would be funny.

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home