Saturday, October 08, 2005

When Classics and the 'net collide...

I woke up this morning, read this post at rogueclassicism, and laughed.

I very specifically remember the thread on trying to figure out the correct spelling of "honor" in Greek for a tattoo.

Although, much as I loathe Troy, it's a little unfair to say that the story has been left unchanged since Homer. The story of Troy was always in flux. What the Greek tragedians wrote about it was different from Homer. Sometimes, it was even different from what they themselves had written! Greek mythology was always in flux. To be fair, what the writers of Troy did was probably in line with what Greeks did to their myths. My bigger problem with it was that it was a bad movie. If you want to make changes, fine, but make sure they actually make your movie good. A great example of this is Gladiator. It was riddled with historical inaccuracies, but it was a great movie.

Also, my friend pointed out to me that PBS is doing a program on Helen of Troy. I believe that link takes you to the D.C. channel listing, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brontëana said...

What? How could you NOT love a film that has Achilles climbing the walls of Troy with really horrible super-hero music blaring in the background, or how about that Captain Planet allusion when they first put ashore! It's magnificent!

I hear that they had to be careful of endagered turtles when they did that scene.

Okay, I'll stop now before I get *silly*.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Brontëana said...

One last thing...

"Holy giant balls of flaming twine! Run, run away!"

9:27 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

::snicker:: We completely approve of silliness here. ;-)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home