Thursday, October 06, 2005

Paul Cartledge lecture

My apologies for not typing this up right away, but I did actually have a paper to finish afterwards!

First, I must say I am thrilled to have been able to go to a lecture with Paul Cartledge. He is a wonderful man and (obviously) an excellent scholar. He was presented with two plaques and a pin by various societies and got no less than three introductions. Of course, I didn't realise at the time that he had just done another lecture the day before at Hamilton College, mentioned at rogueclassicism.

Anyway, his lecture was titled "What the Spartans Have Done for Us." He discussed their contributions in history, culture, and even the English language (i.e. Spartan, laconic, helot). His lecture was quite broad (but not too long), including Spartan women and the Battle of Thermopolae. He also mentioned that his next book should be coming out in about a year.

I shied away from trying to speak to him myself, but he did seem to notice when I left the reception and was kind enough to say goodbye to me. I was very impressed and touched by that.

Anyway, I hope some of you had a chance to go. I think I'm still grinning from the experience!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he say anything about sexuality at Sparta? According to Xenophon, the Spartans seem to have done a lot to inaugurate the cladestine sexual tryst (although, weirdly enough, it was between a married man and woman who, due to Sparta's strange sleeping arrangements, had to sneak around to have sex with each other). They also seem to have included male homosexuality in their structure of military training and social indoctrination (although they clearly brutalized sissy boys).

8:22 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: mikeyboy

Yeah, he did, but he was really just parroting Xenophon. I read that part pretty carefully last semester when I wrote a paper about it.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, cozy place you got here :)..

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home