Sunday, October 02, 2005

More articles of interest...

My friend Chip, aka my "bama" (don't ask), pointed out this article to me just now. Apparently, the scientists who supposedly discovered the 10th planet in the solar system (called Xena, hence the not-really-related-but-we'll-pretend-it-is content of this half of the post) have just discovered that this planet has a moon. This moon is being called Gabrielle.

Actually, I consider most astronomy related to Classics, because of the propensity for these celestial bodies to be named after mythological characters. And because much of what we know today is based, at least in part, on the discoveries of the ancients.

In more obviously related news, however, Margaret Atwood is apparently writing a retelling of the Odyssey from Penelope's point of view. This will be called, "The Penelopiad." The link is courtesy of the Classics-L list, yet again.

Looks like some fun stuff, but I've got to get back to my reading!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! Penelope always has been and always will be a complete bore! She would be better served rewriting Medea!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Well, Medea is ALWAYS better. But I'm glad she didn't, because that's what *I'm* working on.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, Penelope's cool, 'cuz she kept the suitors' hands to themselves for 10 years...and if it hadn't been for that dork Telemachus, she probably would have gotten them to pay for dinner, too.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

But Medea's better. ^__^

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always liked Penelope best, actually. As you well know, I have no problem in being a heretic, but the stopry from her perspective would be very fulfilling for me.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Will

Penelope's cool, but it's all about Medea. :-P

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home