Friday, October 14, 2005

Ecce! The spread of Classics...

I love getting e-mail from my readers, and I got a very interesting e-mail from Mark Alonge last night, informing me about some work by Jack Mitchell, a grad student at Standford.

First is an historical novel for young adults, called The Roman Conspiracy.

Secondly, he also has a site dedicated to an epic poem he wrote about Canada in Homeric style called The Plains of Abraham. It's a very interesting site with a lot of useful information about Canadian history and the epic form.

My favourite excerpt from the site so far: "This epic poem turns its back on Virgilian epic, returning to the foundations of the genre laid by Homer in Greek and Vyasa in Sanskrit. It is not a twilight sigh of that tradition. It reaffirms that the human voice, not the written word, is the cornerstone of poetic truth."

Go check it out--you won't regret it!

In unrelated news, my grad school search is extending back to England again. One of my profs actually suggested I check out Oxford and Cambridge's MPhil programs. I've been wanting to study in England for ages, and if he thinks I have a shot, then I can't see that it would hurt to apply. I'm also narrowing down the more realistic schools here in the U.S. too, so we'll see how it goes...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can swing the Oxbridge thing, I'd say go for it. You get a great education, and it makes you much more attractive to doctoral programs back in the States once you're ready for that. And living in England would be so cool. Wish I'd done it...back in my youth.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Yeah, the real difficulty is in getting them to accept ME. :-D

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, glauk, I've been perusing all of Jack Mitchell's stuff...he's amazing! But I'm really disturbed by a comment he makes on his personal website (which you can find through his blogger profile) about contemporary poetry, which he doesn't much care for. I'll have to give him a stern talking to.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not as hard as you might think to get into Oxbridge postgrad. What's hard is getting funding for it :(

4:48 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Yeahhhh... I'll just see if I can get in first and then worry about the details!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home