Friday, July 29, 2005

More booklust!

I forgot to mention the article that really caught my interest: Roman legion found in Chinese city. I don't know about you, but that really puts the Roman empire into perspective for me. I know how far it reached, but... that is still incredible.

In other news, I went to a favourite used bookstore of mine today (unintentionally!), and I spent a bit under $100 on fifteen books. About half of those were Classically related (well, directly--I bet I could relate ALL of them to Classical studies if I wanted to!). I really must acknowledge a booklust problem here. Eheu!

I've also discovered, much to my horror, that my earlier old-book allergy (well, the mites really, but still!) that developed this semester seems to be here to stay! That place had my skin on edge, and my eyes and nose itchy. It's quite pitiful. But nothing will deter me from my books! I'll just have to remember to take allergy medicines next time... I guess it's true when my history instructor told me I picked the wrong profession--allergic to the very things I love most! Vae! They never really warn you about this when you choose to be a Classics (or English) major...

Anyway, my ancient Greek history class starts next week. That will either mean fewer updates (because I know I'll be swamped) or more updates (because I'll have more to talk about). My Greek history is abysmal, so I'm glad to finally be taking this class!

For now, though, I am reading Charlotte Brontë's Villette and should probably finish it tonight. It's amusing me, because I'm fairly certain it's filled with more Classical allusions than any of her other books.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thesis advisor was just talking about that a few days ago (before the article came out) on how it would be nice to discover traces of the Greeks or Romans in far off unexpected places. Of course I wanted to say that well cats and shrews got there first. We were discussing the possibilities of what Alexander could have achieved if his troops hadn't mutinied.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Ah yes, but then, most of his success was in his ability to hold the loyalty of his troops. And he couldn't for that long. But then, who could?

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course he had to disguise the mutiny by claiming unfavorable omens.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Well, of course. He's a tricksssy hobbit!

Err, yeah.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would the Cats or Shrews have approved? That is the question...

5:26 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Oh I'm sure everything went according to their plan! Everything always does!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ordered that book just a few weeks ago and am going to read it over the summer!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Joe

Yeah, I've seen the far-off stories here and there, but I still like them.

I'll add the book to my list, but I really need to *stop* with the book-collecting for now. ::sigh::

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home