Friday, March 09, 2007

For an amusing time . . .

. . . put Boris Johnson and "Professor Mary" together in a room, discussing Classics. I have little to add to "Professor Mary's" post, except to say that I'm sure her presence and thoughtful comments added to the general entertainment and enjoyability of the event as well. And, in case you're interested in Boris Johnson's book, The Dream of Rome (to which he referred and cited a few times last night!):



Anyway, I was reading this article on lice and human evolution, and I have to admit I laughed as I recalled the line from Rome about seeing "a Roman woman fucked by a baboon."

Also, for those interested in the new movie 300, here are Paul Cartledge's thoughts (article stolen shamelessly from rogueclassicism). The important distinction I want to make now about the movie is that it is under no illusion and has not tried to advertise that it is by any means a "true" story of the battle of Thermopylae. The adaptations that tick me off are the ones that claim they are the "true" or "historical" story of whatever and then are completely off to some ridiculous extent and, to boot, are also lacking in actual entertainment level (besides in their being absolutely ridiculous).

I may change my tune about this movie after I've seen it, though. I reserve that right if it's lacking in entertainment levels.

Lastly, Debra Hamel has made a hip new video about her book, Trying Neaira (and she posts a crisper, but not youtube, version here).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Oh, anytime! You know I love that video! ;-)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Choppa said...

Glauks!
Did the evening with Mary and Boris give you any ideas about differences between Britain and the US when it comes to "rubbing shoulders" where class, status, prestige, intellectual pretensions etc are involved? I'd love to read a blog entry on this, if so...

4:59 AM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

I get the feeling Boris is not your average politician in the UK, and frankly, I've never rubbed shoulders with a politician in the US.

Boris was very affable and down to earth, though. He took Mary's (and others') corrections very well and acknowledged when he was wrong.

I think the other thing is that this was NOT a press-type talk. He was coming in to talk to Classics students about Classics. There was discussion of its application today, but it was not a super politically charged discussion. And if there was intellectual pretension, it probably came more from the Classics scholars side that it came from Boris'.

I would have blogged about this more, but I think Mary Beard covered what I would have said. I wish I could speak to differences, but I'm afraid I've avoided politicians in the US (oh, except when I was 10 and visited the Capitol with my 5th grade class, but I barely remember that!). Also, how often do you really get a politician in the US who's willing to talk Classics with a bunch of Classics scholars?? I think most of them would be happy if the field just died.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Choppa said...

Interesting review of 300:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/09/DDGQVOH7NC1.DTL&type=movies

6:28 PM  
Blogger Choppa said...

More discussion of 300 here on Flickr with some Iranian photographers ticked off at Persians being portrayed as alien monsters from Star Wars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamed/417936161/

4:11 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Thanks!

And are they really Star Wars monsters? That's pretty disturbing . . .

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home