Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Between Schools Woes

Y'know, you pay and pay and pay your undergrad university their continually rising tuition. You pay five years worth of tuition, plus summer and winter courses. Then, the MOMENT they clear your diploma (actually, I'm still WAITING on one of the degrees!), out you go! Booted from online access to such treasures as JSTOR and the OED.

What is a girl to DO without these precious tools?!

Apparently, if I had graduated LAST year, they would have given me access through the summer. That's all I ask! But no, my FIVE years with them means absolutely NOTHING. Guess who won't be getting alumni dues from me?

Fortunately, I am off to grad school this fall and will hopefully only have to suffer a summer without my precioussss online access to JSTOR, OED, etc.

Bewarned: applying to grad schools is tough, but having JSTOR and the OED YANKED from under you so cruelly and abruptly is even tougher.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no interlibrary loan privileges too, I'd wager! Truely a subject worthy of tragedy.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like losing your oxygen supply, isn't it? Such fun finding all kinds of interesting stuff before the professors do! ;)

Testing times, good luck!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Dorothy King said...

Maybe some of us should club together and buy a subscription to share !

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you're desperate, you can join CAMWS (classical assoc. of the midwest and south), and subscribe to JSTOR for 10 bucks. http://www.camws.org/about/2006-7membership.html

10:55 AM  
Blogger Brontëana said...

Oh Glaukopis, has Cambridge not sent you info about using their online access yet? My grad school sent me a packet in early June with information on how to sign into their system. You shouldn't have to wait until fall.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ioannis Georganas said...

I agree with Dorothy! :-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger Glaukôpis said...

Re: Sean M. - Indeed! Fortunately, we have most of what I'd be likely to want or need (should I be willing to trek back up to campus soon), but it is still a tragedy!

Re: Marcus - It really is!

Re: Dorothy King - That'd be a fab idea, except that, personally, I'll be gaining access once fall comes around again. But now that I see what a problem it is for people, I do think a shared subscription would be a very good idea!

Re: anonymous - Another good idea, but it starts adding up with membership fees.

Re: Bronteana - I don't think Cambridge is sending me anything like that until I've finished sending them everything. I just sent the last of it (the transcript) a few days ago, but sending things overseas takes a while!

EVERYONE - Thanks much for all the suggests and support! I know I'm blogging to the right group of people when so many understand my pain! And I do hope some of you can get together for a joint subscription too.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want my JSTOR back! WAAAAHHHH!! [cries]

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Fotografie Casa Piccola said...

Hi great reading your bloog

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home