Monday, July 10, 2006

HBO's Rome on DVD and Winterson's Weight

So, HBO's Rome is apparently up for pre-ordering on Amazon already. Excellent! It's a little more steeply priced than I'd bargained for, though.



Also, I read Jeanette Winterson's Weight (part of The Myths series) a couple days ago. It's based on Hercules and Atlas, and I must say that I enjoyed it far more than Atwood's Penelopiad. Winterson really does a wonderful job of bringing together the science of modernity and the myths from antiquity. It's rather adult themed, though, so have no illusions of reading this as a bed-time story for your children.

My one complaint would be that it includes what I think is one of the most annoying and degrading plot-twists ever--the rape victim falling for her rapist. Fortunately, it's not a big part of the story. And for the most part, this book is wonderful. I'd definiteley encourage everyone to obtain a copy and read it.



I guess the next in the series is Victor Pelevin's The Helmet of Horror, which I didn't even realize was already out. They should really consider including something in the book that indicates who's publishing next and what the title is! I also hadn't seen Pelevin's at the bookstores either. Hm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home