Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Glaukopis' 32452346th return, the Lupercale, and Alcestis & Medea

I would apologize again for my extended absence, but I'm sure anyone still reading this is sick of hearing the excuses! However, I was very excited to read about the discovery of the Lupercale. How cool is that??

In other news, although I am no longer officially a grad student anywhere--alas!--I've been keeping up with a Greek class this semester. It keeps me sane and drives me insane at the same time, but then I guess that's what Greek is all about.

I've also been thinking a lot about the similarities between Alcestis and Medea lately. I know this seems strange at first glance, but they do both subvert male power by outshining their respective husbands. And Alcestis does ask Admetus not to remarry--which is, of course, a far cry from offing the new wife, but it's still limiting Admetus' future chances at procreation.

I have to think more about this and go back over the Medea with the Alcestis at hand too. I sort of feel like the Alcestis is Euripides being subtle, and the Medea is him saying, ok, subtle didn't work? I'll hit you on the head with a 1000 ton hammer.

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much Medea into everything else.

9 Comments:

Blogger Choppa said...

Ah, these pesky, way smart Greek (Medea??) women... so many wielders of power. Maybe you should have Lysistrata open, too, and the Odyssey, and Antigone ;-)

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but Robert Graves's book on the Argonauts is great fun - My Shipmate, Hercules - from this perspective.

6:40 AM  
Blogger marry said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Dissertation Literature Review

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your writing a has certain flair to it.

english courses oxford

Thanks for the share.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

酒店

酒店上班

酒店兼職

台北酒店

打工兼差

酒店工作

酒店經紀

禮服店

酒店兼差

酒店打工

酒店PT

酒店正職

酒店賺錢

酒店日領

酒店喝酒 酒店消費 喝花酒 粉味 喝酒

2:43 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous literature review examples said...

Your blog is really helps for my search and i really like it.. Thanks a lot..:)

Dissertations literature review

5:28 AM  
Anonymous mkv player said...

I think the part with "I'm no longer a student" deserves a celebrations. So, congrats. Yayyyy!
And Thanksgiving is pretty soon... :D

6:49 AM  
Anonymous vob player said...

Hi!
So glad you're finally here!
We missed you!

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Dissertation Literature Review said...

Your blog is really helps for my search and i really like it.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home